tag : bright yellow-green apples: letter

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, July 17, 2006

letter



Dear Matlock Mercury,

Tonight I was walking my dog through Matlock town centre, and happened to come across some lads trying to climb over the gates behind a public building. Thinking they could be attempting to break in, or to commit arson, I wandered past the police station and let them know what I'd seen. Upon returning the same way, I found they were simply climbing a low roof to try jumping across spaces, a la "parkour" (a French-originated urban jumping and climbing movement).

So I'm just writing to publicly apologise to them, for having made assumptions about them, and having come close to reacting in the worst small-town mentality. There's precious little for young people to do in this town, as it is, and that kind of creative free play should be encouraged in the broadest possible way - rather than threatened away. I hope they continue, bearing in mind due safety and good sense, and I wish them well.

regards,

Laurence Craig.

9 Comments:

Blogger Barnabas said...

Takes a lot of guts to admit when you've got it wrong, well done Laurence.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I don't think you needed to apologise! Trespass is against the law, you know, even if it is just for 'parkour'...

You really have got me truly amazed this time.

7:02 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Martin -

I didn't think it was that remarkable, hehe. But hey, it wasn't a straight matter of the law that bothered me. Mere presence isn't actually a bad thing, necessarily. I've often wandered around Cawdor Quarry, looking for flowers, even when it was technically illegal to be there.

11:58 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Anderson -

Thanks. That's a great photo, it makes you look rather like some cool urban techie.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Barnabas said...

Me some cool urban techie hehe yeah right!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

No, but climbing over a gate is a suspicious action, so you weren't just judging them by their faces, from that description at least.

I was amazed by your understanding of what warrants an apology!

6:57 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:24 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Maybe, but it feels important to me. As I hopefully indicated, it gets me irritated when I see young people unfairly harrassed and chased around off and away from things - often when thier motives aren't questionable. Yes, technically they were braking the law here. But if I'd waited and checked, first, I'd have seen they weren't really doing anything wrong. A lot of people would assume wrong, anyway, and I don't want to be part of that vindictive streak...

1:24 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

The letter got in - thanks be for the power of the local media ;)

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home