tag : bright yellow-green apples: it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feeel finn

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, July 31, 2006

it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feeel finn



Ha, I really hate performing to type. Of course I was going to love The Eraser - it's made by someone who's on my roll call of ultimate idols - and of course I did. Luckily it took some time, and I had to keep listening to like it, so this wasn't just a reflex action. It's suprising how many beautiful details have been conjured out of a laptop's electronic repetoire, with fuzz and bleeps and curt beats - even if some of the lyrics are sometimes a little aimless. Having said that, the moment where it all comes together is on the touching ballard Atoms for Peace, where he sings:

"No more talk about the old days
It's time for something great"


So much for depressing - this is gloriously, constructively, hopeful. Along with its linocut cover, The Eraser puts me in a very good mood. I feel like I can achieve summit, and that the best is yet to come. Which is kinda strange, for themes of the world being washed away.

Talking of world destruction, I finally decided to get War of the Worlds out the way. I do so wish Tom Cruise could've hidden his face behind the nearest building, but then he - and every other human there - were really plot devices, part of the landscape. Most of it's shot from eye level, but the main point of this is to see how relative we are to the gorgeous tableaux of civilization disintergrating under pressure. I'm very surprised that Hollywood managed to convey the alien storms so well, sweeping away life with suddenness. It's very flat, though, and if you're looking for some redemption you should stick with Thom, even at his most claustrophobic.

7 Comments:

Blogger ken said...

I nearly picked up The Eraser from my local supermarket today. (What's Thom Yorke's album doing there? If Yorke doesn't mind where his music's sold, then buying it in Sainsbury's is alright... :P) It's cover truly is impressive. I didn't buy then and there because I'm trying to save money.

Big up to Southampton's most famous paddler in the figure.

K3n.

6:27 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Well aparently it's in the top 5 of a whole bunch of countries, from the USA to France, so there must be enough of an earner in the hourdes of obsessive fans to make it worth thier while stocking. Not that he wouldn't grumble at all the middle-england capitalist compromise ect ect ect!

If you do come along getting another album, any time soon, I would suggest this. And not just cos it has a great cover, much as that wins me over ;)

I didn't know the water-logged king was of the locale?

12:23 AM  
Blogger hatchris said...

Not necessarily of the locale, but here's where he tried the tide turning thingy :-) I think!

The Eraser cover is great, and I've listened to the album twice, and liked. It was £9.77 in Asda in Soton but I bought it for 23p more in Fopp :-p Somewhat surprised that most of the music is actually more coherent than say, a fair few tracks from Amnesiac. His singings the best thing, icnredible range (dig the really low verses in Skip Divided) and hauntiness, if that's a word!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

You had best check he doesn't mind first

9:44 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Chris -

Of course some would say that, rather than coherent, he;s actually just limited his range into a very narrow scope. I suppose it's inevitable, given that this is not a whole band, but it's just the kinda thing I've been hoping for, in a way - wall to wall electronic stuff. The near-hip hop heavyness of Skip Divided is very fine, too - though we really needed an Idyotech type crazy moment where he just let go.

12:28 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Martin -

Oh I dunno...he seems rather friendly in that picture, if a little in ye face. I might just risk assuming ;p

12:28 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I agree that he does look inviting. But it could be a honey trap

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home