tag : bright yellow-green apples: the red hot self-parodies

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, May 08, 2006

the red hot self-parodies



It's quite a relief to find such articulate rudeness about the Red Hot Chilli Peppers - now my vague irritation with them has a voice! Hurah!

"Seeing as Smash Hits is no longer with us, it's my duty to supply you with the lyrics to the new single by this over-rated and much-loved (by themselves, ho, ho, ho) American rocky-funky-bendy-bandy. Here goes, sing along: "a hip henna henna hoo/a hoo henny hen/ Haliforniha" repeat x35. Surely it's not just me who hears Vic Reeves' pub singer accompanied by Mark "chin-high bass" King from Level 42? It is? Sorry, rocky-funky fans." Johnny Dee.

"I'm forever near a stereo saying, "What the fuck is this GARBAGE?" And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." Nick Cave.

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

I don't like the Red Hot Chili Peppers either.

Now get started on defending them :p

8:34 AM  
Blogger mary said...

i don't often venture here, 'cos i find all the serious debate a bit intimidating :P

but i must protest - as the proud owner of two chili peppers albums, they do rock. listen to give it away now, under the bridge, suck my kiss, californication, by the way and the zephyr song, boys. They're brilliant songs!

In addition, have either of you seen the video for can't stop? it's brilliantly surreal and funky. i challenge ye both to watch it and then continue with your damning!

10:01 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Hey, I've made no actual damning...yet. I left it to better voices, for now ;)

They do have an infectious sense of energy, they do seem like nice people who do a lot of sound entertainment, and do play without too much of the self-pitying angst that easily haunts so much guitar music. But every song does begin to sound much the same, and, well, I refer once more to the above.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I'm a bit worried about Mary's sensitivities if she considers 'I don't like the Red Hot Chili Peppers' to be 'damning'...

7:16 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Well it's funny how expressing opinions can get you into all sorts of tags - I happen not to like a lot of pop music, and get called a 'snob' for it!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home