tag : bright yellow-green apples: what it felt like

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, November 14, 2005

what it felt like



figure 57.1. music make you loose control

On the way back from Martin's birthday weekend, I was reading over the Saturday newspaper and came across an article discussing the lost art of protest in...well, art. Principally music, such as Bob Dylon and Public Enemy. There was a fascinating bit, where someone was trying to describe their experiences of being empowered by music as they faced life under oppression in China:

"At the same time, urban kids found an outlet for their frustrated energies in new, barely tolerated western fads, such as break-dancing. These are the words of a shop girl in Tianjin (quoted in Geremie Barmé and Linda Jaivin's New Ghosts, Old Dreams): "When I'm break-dancing I feel passionate and uninhibited ... I'm normally very quiet and soft-spoken...But when I hear that entrancing music ... The last drop of adolescent shyness evaporates as hot blood surges through my veins. After all, I'm a child of the 80s!"

The Chinese are no different to us. The appeal of Cui and other Chinese rockers was not their political message; it was the attitude, expressed in the music, of defiance. This was political enough. Discussing liberal democracy was for the Beijing University students. Other Chinese were less articulate, perhaps, but they knew what it felt like to be oppressed by authority."


I like how music was described as something that rouses people to agitation, beyond lyrics. I don’t always listen carefully to what's being sung, am more likely to emotionally surge along with the sounds of music. The way the vocals go hits me best, so often. It bypasses all thought to rouse my instincts to sorrow, anger, love, joy, or hope. This is often then directed through what I draw and paint - in an attempt to live up to the challenge the music has set me, in making sense of that for myself through movements of brush and pen.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Is this artwork your original work?

2:20 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Sadly not. That's by the extremely talented and clever Ernst Kirchner, who painted during the first half of the 20th century inbetween bouts of existential crisis and soforth.

This picture is, however, by me. I'm hoping to scatter more about, with time.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home