tag : bright yellow-green apples: rhyme and reason

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

rhyme and reason



figure 45.6. what does it do?

After the tangles of the last entry, and the knots that can be cast with language in the media, tonights thoughts seem even more appropriate. I read a fantastic article today, a riposte to those who question what poetry - and, really, art in general - is for. Who can't see any use in it. Anyway, by the by, the writer managed to make a sharp observation that "Poetry is not a pretty way of saying something straight, but the straightest way of saying something complex." I so often find things make a lot more sense if I explore them through verse, so this makes sense to me.

Tonight I heard a beautiful rendition of Heartbeats, by José González - delicate and vulnerable where The Knife's original is colourful dance-pop brilliance. Either way, it's a very lyrical song that perfectly demonstrates the above observation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home