tag : bright yellow-green apples: new tours

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Sunday, November 06, 2005

new tours



figure 62.1. you, too

Yes, I'm returned from a grande tour of the regions known as Northern Ireland. Mary's already filled in some of what we got up to over the week, so I'll do my best not to commit the sin of repetition. My first ever flight offered incomparible views of the world, and an hour of delight in weightlessness. Belfast was a strange hybrid of northern feel and southern character, though the main attraction was wondering round new agey bookshops and tropical houses with the charming Rach. Acoustic Ladyland were purvayors of furiously inspiring rhythms, with some of the most brilliantly complex and involving drumming I've heard for ages. Pride and Predjudice is better in the first half, when Mr Darcey is allowed not to care a toss about other people in a spectacular fashion. Dublin's modern art supply is fun and funny, contemporary stimulation with a shot of attractive humanity (particularly Martin Sastre). Portadown was infuriating, by its ingrained sectarianism. Armagh Cathedral has beautiful detail, and delightful electric prayer candles (you press a red button to do the business). The Culbertson household is most hospitable, and a den of teasing and hot debating. Mary was a fantastic companion for my stay, bless her damp cotton socks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

For calling me charming I feel I must leave a comment!

Rachxx

12:16 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

If that's all it takes to get you talking, I must try it more often ;)

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Donna said...

I'm glad you had a lovely time. Someday I'll make it across the pond to your fair land and that of Ireland.

11:10 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Make sure you let us know when you do eventully make it - I'll certainly be pleased to add to your welcome to our Islands.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home