tag : bright yellow-green apples: spam javelin

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

spam javelin



figure 57.0 it's really like that

It's going to be a bit of an arty week, with the Turner Prize shortlist out tomorrow, but I want to get some mentions in now anyway. Plus it'll provide a satisfying distraction from politics - what with the Tory leadership contest, which is about to kick off with a first vote tomorrow, likely to get me waffling about the terrors of conservative policies. Again.

Number one is that you should listen to The Go! Team's album, Thunder lightning strike, which was nominated for the Mercury Music Prize. It's such joyous music, without any consideration, analysis, or angst. Lots of saturated rhythms and strangely off-kilter melodies all banging together in short happy bursts. It's the nearest aural equivalent to eating fruit salad sweets.

Number two is that there was a special edition of the Guardian today, with some new art and an interview with Sarah Lucas (not to be confused with our own wee Sarah - despite wearing a funny knitted hat on the cover page). I'm not sure I identify with all the boozy living, but I love her way with titles and ability to come up with an impressive motif. Most people will know her best for the fried eggs self-portrait.

8 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

'...likely to get me waffling about the terrors of conservative policies...'

I thought it was just the terrors of Conservatives? You'll have to show me where you've talked about the policies... :-p

(On the other hand, you seem to have that in common with them, or at least that's how it seems)

7:30 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

I have mentioned, by the by, what has most offronted me about there whole approach and the individualism that comes with it. I trust you were reading at the time ;P

Anyway, I deliberately said I wouldn't talk about politics here! So what say you about images or music, today?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I haven't heard The Go! Team, and all I could say about the picture would be something like that a photo with two well-placed fried eggs isn't a self-portrait, and you'd only respond with some righteous rage about how I'm shallow, uncultured, unappreciative and generally pointless.

As regards the Tories, funny, I just saw you talking about personalities... And if you didn't want to talk about politics (or polotics, as some call it, presumably a tic caused by polos) then you could just not have talked about it! Instead you did one of those 'I won't mention' things...

'Fykkr', says the word verification. I bet there's a Sigur Ros song called that

11:48 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

In my recent comments, as regards the leadership race, I didn't want to get into a long entry that would mean nobody read it. So I tried to give a sentance on each that might summ up my impressions - taking in thier political approach (including policy and personality, seeing as both will have a bearing on how tolerable/sucessful they might be). Perhaps when it's all sorted out, I'll give you an in-depth analysis of what I think of the winnner's plant-related policy.

I can see I'm going to have to dig out a few CDs when we're next in the same place, get you up to speed with all the new exciting acts. And as for the self-protrait, which I think is fabulously graphic and witty, might I suggest this article is at least partly relevent.

12:17 AM  
Blogger ken said...

Why the reference to male genitalia in the title without a comment lower down, Laurence? Or did you not intend to be so vulgar?

Take care.
love K3n.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Yes, that looks like pretty standard Guardian fare, immediately patronising almost everyone by the subtitle.

"I'd read the Guardian", said a colleague of mine a few weeks ago, "but it's so bourgeoise". She paused for a moment. "Actually", she resumed, "it's because it's completely fucking irrelevant."

Hmm, I went into a long entry and people commented...

CDs sound good though

7:52 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Ken -

I intended to try and quote the Lucas-related article in some way, for this is where it comes from as you'll see, and that was the most striking title at the time. Plus the cheap grade humour helps to get some attention, ho ho

12:18 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Martin -

Actually, I found the article very sensible - and perhaps the great swathes of unthinking responce needs to be delbt with harshly. I'm not the best person to judge, finding the "my 7 year old could do as well/better" one of the 10 most annoying sentances on the planet.

There is so much guff in the Guardian, much of it very smug and aspirational. But despite that, which I continue to wade past (not least the magazine, which is mostly tosh!), I'll contend that the comment pages are some of the best I'll read in any newspaper.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home