tag : bright yellow-green apples: hidden by leaves

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Friday, October 07, 2005

hidden by leaves



figure 45.7. not a true likeness

After some pretty weird dreaming last night, I woke up with an urge to be decisively assertive and clear out some of the dross I’ve been gathering for a few months now. In this case it was a fairly large wodge of unfinished pictures, that have remained in that state for so long that they’re really pressing on my mind every time I look at them. Like an accusation, of neglect. Is it that I don’t like to have failure – in this case the inability to make anything notable out of a few half-baked ideas – staring me in the face? The recycling bin was no good, as I’d only get reticent and hoof them out again in a couple of days. So I took them downstairs, stuck them in the fireplace, and set them alight with a couple of matches. What a blaze! Hopefully it’ll help me to come up with some new ideas, with such tangled rough ends out of the way.

Ideas are what Andy is after at the moment. If you have any interesting or unusual readings of the Genesis 3 story, please do pop over and share them with him. Unless you're into creationist diatribes, in which case this might be a safer bet.

6 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Burning your art now? All it takes is starting to pull the legs of a daddy long legs and you're half way to being Dennis Nilsen...

Good thing about a song is that it's quite easy to forget rubbish ones, especially if like me you don't actually write anything much down. The flipside of this is that it's difficult to remember how all these half-an-hour long epics I apparently write go, and I end up forgetting ones I meant to remember...

10:28 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here - paper is one thing, my lovely fellow creatures quite another ;P I'm no Tori Amos, calling all my art as my babies.

Some kind of temporary archiving is helpful, so I would encourage you to save everything you come up with in the short term. Memories and scribbled down stuff. Once you have that, some filtering can happen later on over time. But then I'm a terminal salvager, and consider every tiny scrap as having potential. The trouble is that it's often the trow off experiments, at the end of a session, that turn out to be the best. So I can't stop being a museum of little bits of paper.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Hmm. I can remember songs for years on end though, and if something keeps coming back to me I usually do something with it in the end. I'm not a fan of hoarding, for certain, as I think you lose all perspective (At which point you might start burning stuff!)

7:06 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

You do indeed run the risk of losing perspective, but to have to high a rotation risks losing a little piece that might be invaluable in making summit new. All it takes is a chance thought or connection between one and another – though it can mean a never ending wait (hence my giving up on some recently!) There’s plenty more receipts in the sea...

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Yes, sometimes it is best to start anew. Will you show us something soon?

2:00 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

aww thanks, I'll see what I can do soon. It's ever so nice to feel wanted.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home