tag : bright yellow-green apples: beautiful blues

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Sunday, June 05, 2005

beautiful blues



figure 45.7. where search

They were right. Blinking Lights and Other Revelations is a very fine album. It's rather grandiose in ambition, being one of those two disk thingys. Could even be indulgent, in a scary world. But the way E manages to conjour such beauty from the tradgedy he's gone through continues to be inspirational. Few of us can claim that level of terrible experience, and yet I'm sure there's example for us with our every day issues and sadness.

every moment's built to last
when you're living without a past
in a magic world

If I get to do student radio, I'll have to play a track from it. Yes the chances of getting to do the first stage of my university wishes, as expressed here, are becoming again more tangible. I now have the chance of a further education loan, or maybe some involvement from these boffins. So I've started thinking of what to read in advance, what societies I might throw myself at, and what tracklists I might play. Though not in the god-awful Nick Hornby sense, as Steve Lamaq so well dissects in this little piece about mix tapes. It's all ever so exciting, the chance to get studying and find a whole life again - rather than the slight sense of limbo Matlock continues to give.

So there's progress in life, and now at 22 I feel reassured that I might have a thread to follow. Where it'll lead is anyone's guess, but I'm ready to make the most of it this time - and not take anything for granted. If it goes as I've been hoping, then roll on the autumn!

In other news, I'm still intrigued by the anonymous commenter in my last pc entry. I haven't worked out who it is yet - and any clues would be welcome, because I like pondering little mysteries.

9 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Student radio is great fun. I didn't realise you could read so much into mix tapes. Otherwise I might not have ended the one I made Megan with 'I Know We Could Be So Happy Baby' or started the one I gave my friend yesterday with Nick Cave's 'Love Letter'. Ho hum...

Anyway, glad things are rolling along with The World's Most Protracted University Application (TM) :-)

10:27 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

They are, in the sense that I don't do much and hope for the best - as in most things - yet there's a last financial resort. Which is oddly hopeful, as it's a tangible thing when so much of the last year has been ethereal talk and elusive possibility with various people and institutions. I need to take any chance going, as it's so rare.

I don't have much experience with this whole mix tape thing - I tend to be really unimaginative and just copy albums for myself and other people! Having said that, it might be rather fun to indulge a little and play around. As I say, if I get to be a student dj for a wee while it would be good practice of picking out songs...nice as it would be to just play a whole album in it's complete niceness.

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Donna said...

I've always wondered about the mix tape thing. Why is it that when you give a compilation tape to a member of the opposite sex it's always a kind of love letter? And, because of this, I would never think of making a CD mix and giving it to a guy - well, because he might get the wrong idea. Likewise, if some guy made me a mix, I might get the wrong idea. It doesn't seem fair does it? Maybe two people just want to share tunes not a lifetime with each other. ;-D

3:37 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Good to see you back Mr Craig. I'm glad you agree that Blinking Lights is a fine piece of albumage. It lives on top of my stereo so that it can sneak in and get more airtime than the other cds. Cheeky sod.

7:37 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Andy -

It's funny how they do that. I find Tom Waits keeps creeping back ahead of a lot of other albums. Ta for the greeting, too.

Donna -

You're right, it does sound like a bit of a minefield. But I'm going to be a bit bloody minded soon, and just send some to a couple of friends anyway without caring too much what they - or anyone else - thinks about it!

12:43 AM  
Blogger mary said...

donna - i didn't know of this pehenomenon, i've just sent a tape to laurence with "take another little bit of my heart now baby" sung in scarily husky and yelly tones on it! by 'eck... :P by the way, i don't actually know you, so hello. *friendly wave* to 'rence - keep on truckin'...*dances off* (i'm a little bit hyper tonight)

9:24 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Clearly I was blissfully unaware of the *real* reason for your selection of songs...thinking it was some namby reason such as your liking them, or being able to play them ;p

12:24 AM  
Blogger mary said...

heh, little did you know they were all painstakingly selected for their accuracy in descibing my feelers...even the one about how i asked a horse to marry me in the middle of nowhere, oh yes. :P

12:05 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

If they describe your feelings, then you must be more self-centred than I thought...at least a couple of them involve your name somewhere, hehe.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home