tag : bright yellow-green apples: and chosing

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Friday, June 17, 2005

and chosing



figure 5.1. pot luck

I'll say that Martin's note about trying to deal with lots of ideas, and fixing on some that actually really mean something, strikes a chord with me. Though in my case it's something around the level of at least 150/200 more or less finished pictures in the last half year. So I've had a tremendously difficult time picking out 5 that really show the extent of what I get up to, to send off with my application form to the organisers of The Wirksworth Festival. Yes, I'm entering with the intention of showing work in it like I did back in 2001. It could be fun, and certainly was before - there's a really exciting atmosphere around for the weekend, with all sorts of interesting people showing in locale houses, shops, pubs. There's a lot of twee rubbish too, as might be expected in an area with a lovely landscape, but I like wandering around and chatting with people about what they do. It's beccoming ever more important and notable by the year...here's hoping.

Am I the only one getting slightly concerned about the unfolding spectacle of Live 8 - or to put it more accurately "the Bob Geldof show"? His latest intervention seems to show him on an ever more erratic and melodramatic curve. After calling for a 'new Dunkirk' and a total boycott of ebay, where might he go next? Whatever happens, it seems to serve a greater act of mixing the important issues up with personality profiling and cartoonish headlines. But if it pushes any sense of anti-povetry talk onto Radio 1 news, maybe there's some sense to the madness.

6 Comments:

Blogger ash said...

Bob is famous for being an unofficial politician, not for being good at making music.

Unfortunately, as I've indicated elsewhere, I think Live8 is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the Make Poverty History campaign. (yes, worse than that silly sweatshop scandal the media made into a scandal).

1 million people turning up in Edinburgh is incredible people power in action. 50,000 people turning up to watch some of the world's best rock acts, however, is not remarkable. one of those acts alone could draw a crowd that big to a gig. all of them?? that's going to be popular.

The government will see a bunch of kids who like music, not a bunch of people who really care about changing poverty and trade justice.

To be honest, I think he's lost the plot a bit.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I feel I should comment because you've bestowed a link upon me...

"Am I the only one getting slightly concerned about the unfolding spectacle of Live 8?"

Er, no.

10:54 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

"The government will see a bunch of kids who like music, not a bunch of people who really care about changing poverty and trade justice."

There can be a lot of overlapp - even as much music is fairly vapid.

And the government can easily look for, and see, what it wants to see - regardless of reality - whatever is happening, or with whatever issue. There's nothing all that different here.

11:27 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

"Er, no."

Thanks for your contribution Martin ;p

11:29 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Okay, I'll say something more helpful!

C-h-o-o-s-i-n-g.

That is all.

3:22 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

I'll try and remember that, next time I'm faced with a red pill and a blue.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home