tag : bright yellow-green apples: post mortum

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Saturday, May 07, 2005

post mortum



figure 76.1. we can feel better, at least it's spring

This will be a very brief look at politics, what with the results having come in. Then we can get back to nice things for a while, like art and mysticism. The least worst scenario came to pass, pretty much. Though Steve Bell does a good job of summing up the mood for many of us, with the current polical state of things. The conservatives lost - and thank God, for all their visciousness has been blunted and the party of most spiteful jealousy is denied the chance to inflict themselves on us. How perverse that we needed the party led by the steely grin - or rather grimace - to ensure some notion of progressive social government continues. Even if they've pretty much forgotten what a lot of it means these days. But thier truely opulant majority has been cut back, so we'll have to see what becomes a priority and what will pragmatically get by.

I feel somewhat compromised, as in the end I voted for the Lib Dems. The ballot paper had little spare room, and I hadn't the wit to come up with another better responce. Better luck next time eh, here's to 2009 or whenever they see fit!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

i too share your state of despondency.

How remarkably like your consituency mine is!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

at least you got some comedy with a monster raving candidate - go back to 1997 and we have a "Scottish Equality Party" candidate.. how strange!

Oohh, ive never heard of the "Natural Law" party. Very adam and eve

8:41 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Solidarity - we're two of the many reluctent people occupied by blue. I could counter that at least you're lucky enough to have a kinda cosmopolitan area - I mean the very idea of a Green candidate past or present seems very odd here! Maybe if they get watching the bit in The Lord of the Rings where the trees destroy an army, they'll become more fired to take over the country...

12:40 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

The students did a good turn in Cambridge, which means we have a Lib Dem MP despite the ravings of some of my Tory-hungry politics student friends. ;)

Andy

9:15 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Did you note, Mr Craig, that our former constituency Reading East also went blue?

Frankly, I think you're proving a bit of a liability.

10:54 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

What did I do? Surely my warning of a potential TORY APOKALYPSE was just the boost needed to ensure they didn't win in the end? I'm intrigued that Reading East went over to the dark side, given how many students there are there...

...but good to see they helped tip things over in Cambridge. I'll have to see if my other university friend is equally amenible to the result (can't think why not, he's essentially like me but actually even quieter - which is a remarkable thing to achieve!)

11:18 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Well, I just note that everywhere you go the Tories seem to get in. That's all. It's a bit like the way that every time I move, the local football team does well. When I moved from Reading to Derby, Reading got promoted and Derby got relegated. Then for two years, Reading made the play-offs and Derby didn't, until this year when I moved back and Derby made the play-offs and Reading didn't. I ignore Leicester as the result is anomalous and I don't like the place.

That is all.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Kudos to you for voting your heart and thinking progressive!

9:59 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Martin -

Good point, though it's somewhat disturbing to find that I might have some sort of curse/bad political vibes that bring blue gloom with me as I go!

12:38 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Donna -

Thanks for your kudos, it's somewhat gratifying to see someone has some sense of respect for my political deliberations. Especially from someone overseas...

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home