tag : bright yellow-green apples: mind over matter?

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, May 09, 2005

mind over matter?



figure 46.3. par example

I found a very fine article in the book reviews on Saturday - though this view of the writing comes from my own opinions here. You see it's a celebration of the great French artist Georges Braque - in my view he's the most inspired painter we've seen for the past few hundred years. His pieces are astonishingly beautiful and absorbing, all the more so for the time (principallly the 1910's to the 1950's), drawing a fascination in their materiality. He makes something of the very stuff the pictures are made of, it becomes a key element to their success - rather than just a means to representation. I like him still, because he reminds me of the inherent good in our material world, the creative light that is in all. I don't want to be all grandiose, but his pictures are like a sacrament, they open a view on things. By consciously and prominently using specific materials (sand, oil paint, paper) to create beauty, he also shows what there is beautiful about materials themselves.

I can remember back in 1998, when I was at a low ebb with art - pretty much restricted to a few pencil drawings now and then, and what I had to do to fulfil GCSE work requirements. But then I came across cubist painting, and Braque's work coaxed me out of myself. Gradually I gained confidence again, and eventually grew to love painting utterly. I can safely say that without seeing his inspirational paintings, I wouldn't be so heavily involved in creativity today. And nor would I have a view of the world inspired so much by that, of how much good there is in this world. Nor a lot of my sanity, so maintained by making pictures. Big up St Georges. What a shame some of my fellow Matlockers are being a bit funny with other French produce - if my withering letter of reply to thier approach is printed on Thursday, I'll stick it up here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Oh dear, is that the best they can find to complain about? I'm sure our Palestinian national saint would be very upset to be confronted with croissants instead of Kingsmill.

7:50 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Pretty much, yeah. That and dog poo. There were a couple of letters about dogs doing thier business in the wrong place. Proff posative that we're so smalltown parochial.

12:35 AM  
Blogger mary said...

we're more inventive in our village, we complain about catholic children being let into the playgroup instead of protestant ones. *sigh* lovely wee province, this...dog poo also features highly on the list.
very interesting info on yours and other's art :) here's to sainity preserved through paints, almost in my case...

4:09 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Do dogs read the Mercury? Is it available in some kind of (linguistically) digestible form for them?

I'm interested by your definition of 'inventive', Mary :-p

5:39 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Some might suggest that they're more likely to pay notice to a request for less dog poo fouling than most dog onwers!

12:55 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Sanity is a fairly borderline thing, but the release of art manages to preserve some sembelence in my case.

Ah, I suppose the predjudice around these parts is fairly low level compared to some other parts of these Islands. So mustn't grumble.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home