tag : bright yellow-green apples: the this and that

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Saturday, April 16, 2005

the this and that



figure 45.1. flavour of the month

It's the wedding of the year tomorrow, at which I'll be playing usher. Before I go, I'll leave you a few fragments to play around with:

In the last year I have been - as was sometimes indicated - in some pretty unpleasant emotional situations with a former friend/romantic interest. Involving unrequited feelings, loss, regret, and whatnot. Romance is as wonderful as life can get, even as it can also be hellish when your dreams are not realised. Though the memory is raw, and the reality of what happened no less terrible to me, I am definitely heading out of that. I thought so much of her, and to scratch would probably reveal the same underneath. I'm a veritable oscillating wheel of emotions, and will occasionally have the odd bad turn at random moments. But that big destabilising factor is gradually diminishing and I'm becoming happier with myself, in myself. Every day more so. Like I have been for most of my life, as a solitary weirdo with my pens and imagination.

Yes, after talking with Martin on that phone last night, my mind is once again chock full of ideas and little things I could get up to as regards art. I want to experiment with formats, make my art more accessible and apparent out there beyond the secrecy of bags & boxes in my room. Over the next year I want to shift a lot into public view, in lots of ways. Postcards, some weird little book thing - both strong possibilities. But most of all a website of my very own. I and Sarah have been playfully swapping notions of collaboration, and I've made poems with others before. But I reckon there's a lot of potential for interaction between various media with other people. So watch out all of ye...

In so many ways I'm standing in the midst of the culmination of many good strands in my life right now. I'm reading lots of fine poems, and a very rich novel. I now have a place that's accepted me for postgraduate study - assuming I can find the money to pay, I can now study an Msc. in environmental psychology. And I won a bung load of CDs from radio 1 the other night. And I have friends around, many people who are a constant godsend. Did I mention the wedding? See you after the do.

8 Comments:

Blogger ash said...

So much I can resonate with there I must say.

Perhaps you could do a book with poemses and picturey arts in it? which would be a bit like Blake, which is, of course, to be encouraged at every turn...

1:05 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Glad to spurn you on! I can't wait for tomorrow, which is actually today now, isn't it? I can't wait for Monday, when I have some music in my hand. I hope I'm not Stalin.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

hoo-bloody-rah for art and nice things in life. looking forward to seeing that webby/ book!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

laurence, you are LOVELY. Please don't limit yourself just to being the solitary wierdo, because although you may be solitary by nature, you aren't wierd, you're insightful and gifted and wonderful. there is a heck of a lot more to you than your imagination and pens, though they are an important part of your general loveliness. glad you're becoming un-destabilised though.

love from someone who admires you a great deal, but is a bit shy.

1:27 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Thanks for the comments everyone - the weekend cemented a good mood, and coming back to them has only made it better. Good ideas around, too.

12:45 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

I'm very interested by the anonymous poster, whoever you are. Not least because I'm trememdously flattered. Thanks m'dear - even though aparently I know you, it'll have to be a general statement of gratitude as any guess will doubtless be wrong. Sympathies on the shyness - you can always *whisper* so nobody else hears us talking...

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Laurence,

I'm glad you've turned the corner! I like the image - Marc Chagall?

5:17 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Spot on there - it is indeed the great Jewish lyrical painter. It's not his best, but is very appropriate to the theme. Thanks for dropping by, by the way...

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home