tag : bright yellow-green apples: the peace of...

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

the peace of...



figure 8.3. discordent elements

It's possible to think too much, and I do. I find myself digging very deep, musing through every tiny nuance of some things that happen to me, people I know (one in particular), things that I've done with them. It can be helpful, when I uncover a sensitivity that I need in a situation. But it's often debilitating, and can clutter up my mind tangling my ability to get on.

Never was a sharper word spoken than Aaron Williamson, in a pivotal line from one of his books: "I'm no Buddha, I'm a wanker".

So it's great when you come across a writer who manages to create an open and gentle space away from all the mental dross. While searching through what's left of my bookcase, I found a book I'd borrowed from Graeme. The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran, is a brilliantly pithy collection of meditations spoken by an unknown figure to his people, before journeying on to a new place. He comes out with some very reflective and poetically lively thoughts, and I’ve found they’re very good for settling my churning mind. The tone is good.

Since we’re in a quoting run, here’s a little extract from ‘love’:

“When love beckons to you, follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him, Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth. Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself. He threshes you to make you naked. He sifts you to free you from your husks. He grinds you to whiteness. He kneads you until you are pliant; And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.”

5 Comments:

Blogger postliberal said...

la la, at last the system's back up and running, so I managed to delete the four repetitions I managed to paste up of this entry. I was beggining to look a right wally, far too close to reality.

4:55 PM  
Blogger ash said...

your atom feed works again now too :o) so that means that your name goes red on my browser when you update, so i never miss an entry :o)

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Love this - "I'm no Buddha, I'm a wanker". Very amusing.

3:47 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Quite right - it'd be a significant loss to your life if you were to miss out on one of my missives ;)

1:25 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

He's incredibley witty, and probably my favourite poet. That line sticks in my mind cos it's so telling.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home