tag : bright yellow-green apples: keep on looking

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, March 14, 2005

keep on looking

After seeing Martin putting out lots of his songs, I've decided to be a little brave tonight...and stick up one of the pictures I've been working on for the last few weeks. It's strange how wary I am of showing what I've come up with, with the odd exception I've held back for almost a year now - but hopefully this will be the beggining of a general policy. The scanner and photodump, which I've been wrestling with for the last few days, have mashed it up - but the result is actually very satisfying, if a little removed from the physical picture.

materialistic & sensitive

larger version
smaller version

The interpretation, if any, can be up to you. I shall let slip that the baby cherub is adapted from a photo of me walking over a muddy Scottish beach, and that the slogan was written from my brother's P.S.E. school work. But this probably has little obvious bearing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

About freakin' time!

I know we talked about how annoying it is when people just say 'I like that' and stuff, but I like that...

Interesting that you have transformed your muddy self into an angelic creature. I take it that was you as a child?

Nice to be considered brave as well - some people might refer to my constant song-throwing as 'indulgent'...

11:05 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Thanks for that, I feel a little more emboldened now. Plus I rather like your interpretative spin on it, I hadn’t thought of that – just goes to show how various readings can be! Yes, let’s call it a raising to heaven, the fashioning of angels from clay. Actually, it seems that it’s just my home computer that distorts the picture to satisfyingly odd effect, here on the library I get a better view – which I presume is yours, as viewers. Much better.

Here’s to indulgence of all kinds...

4:46 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I must admit, I find this a bit odd though - you must have some intention? After all, this is a communication, however well hidden, I think there must be some message, otherwise what's the grounds for the whole thing?

I don't expect you to explain the whole thing - I enjoy ambiguity - but I do kind of anticipate that you have some motivation behind this work

5:56 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Mary and Ash (and a nameless neighbour) have all responded posatively to me behind the scenes. I should just point out that there's no great mystery to commenting on art - I shaln't jump on you for getting it 'wrong' or 'misunderstanding' me!

12:10 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

I'm wary of telling too much, as I really want to leave it for other people. Plus I don't make pictures with a message, so much as an intuitive sense of expression. Sorry to be awkward, it's something that cuts beneath discussion. And, more than in any other art form, to analyse a picture can mean it's value can be lost. But alright, let me share a little of what might be read into it in an autobiographical sense.

There's something of my longer past, and how it relates to my current situation and hopes for the future. How I relate to others, in the light of my recent experiences and essentially ingrained lonely nature. How I make sense of my instincts about certain people that I want to reach, and one person in particular, when I'm an introvert by nature…and when there's certain unspoken assumptions about what's rightly done in our society.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home