tag : bright yellow-green apples: fare

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, March 28, 2005

fare



figure 45.2. the cosmic egg spliced with the tree of life

Easter's just finished, time for a little retrospective. Today I found out how much I've gone off chocolate and sugary foods when I tried some of an egg I'd been given - after a few months of not really bothering with them. I also remembered prayer for the first time in ages, while sat with the ecumenical gathering in communion this morning (it was good wine today). I reckon it's time I did my annual schtick of wheeling this beautiful fragment of liturgy out by the late great St Chrysostom. If ever there was a piece of Christian writing to keep me in and still looking it's going to be this:

"Let no one mourn that he has fallen again and again,
for forgiveness has risen from the grave.
Let no one fear death, for the death of our Savior has set us free.
He has destroyed it by enduring it.
He spoiled the power of hell when he descended thereto.
Isaiah foretold this when he cried,
Death has been frustrated in meeting him below!
It is frustrated, for it is destroyed.
It is frustrated, for it is annihilated.
It is frustrated, for now it is made captive.
For it grabbed a body and discovered God.
It took earth and behold! it encountered heaven.
It took what was visible,
and was overcome by what was invisible.
O Death, where is your sting?
O Death, where is your victory?
Christ is risen,
and the demons are cast down.
Christ is risen,
and life is set free.
Christ is risen,
and the tomb is emptied of the dead.
For Christ, having risen from the dead,
is become the first-fruits of those who sleep."

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

> Easter's just finished...

In the interests of liturgical propriety, I feel I should point out that Easter has just begun, and continues until Ascension Day.

Now that's cleared up, thanks for showcasing the excellent St John Chrysostom. I'd recommend the Easter Sermon in its entirety; the inclusive vision of the kingdom and of God's love and mercy is compelling:

"Are there any who are devout lovers of God?
Let them enjoy this beautiful bright festival!
Are there any who are grateful servants?
Let them rejoice and enter into the joy of their Lord!
Are there any weary with fasting?
Let them now receive their wages!
If any have toiled from the first hour,
let them receive their due reward;
If any have come after the third hour,
let him with gratitude join in the Feast!
And he that arrived after the sixth hour,
let him not doubt; for he too shall sustain no loss.
And if any delayed until the ninth hour,
let him not hesitate; but let him come too.
And he who arrived only at the eleventh hour,
let him not be afraid by reason of his delay.
For the Lord is gracious and receives the last even as the first.
He gives rest to him that comes at the eleventh hour,
as well as to him that toiled from the first.
To this one He gives, and upon another He bestows.
He accepts the works as He greets the endeavour.
The deed He honors and the intention He commends.
Let us all enter into the joy of the Lord!
First and last alike receive your reward;
rich and poor, rejoice together!
Sober and slothful, celebrate the day!
You that have kept the fast, and you that have not,
rejoice today for the Table is richly laden!
Feast royally on it, the calf is a fatted one.
Let no one go away hungry. Partake, all, of the cup of faith.
Enjoy all the riches of His goodness!
Let no one grieve at his poverty,
for the universal kingdom has been revealed...'

(Just ignore that fatted calf reference!)

The full text (in English) can be found here.

Happy Easter!

Graeme

9:46 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

eggs don't grow on tress yunno

11:34 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

:-o

Laurence, you're overrun with pedants! I believe the makers of Bazooka and Bonjela are bringing out a new highly alcoholic gel, I hope it helps...

12:21 PM  
Anonymous RobertB said...

Double-pedant wet-blanket whammy:

Easter ends on Low Sunday (the Easter Octave), or on Pentecost Sunday (the Fifty Days of Eastertide).

(I'm also informed that whilst that homily - surely well in the running for Top 10 Sermons of All Time? - is traditionally attributed to St. John Chrysostom, it is improbable he was the author.)

6:12 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Right you bunch of whatnots - though I'm astonished at how many little corners you found to pick at, I shall express gratitude for the comments out of a sense of propriety and suchlike. Intresting stuff, too...

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Graeme said...

> Easter ends on Low Sunday (the Easter Octave), or on Pentecost Sunday (the Fifty Days of Eastertide).

Robert, thank you for this.

I have always thought that Easter ended at Pentescost, but was recently told that it ended on Ascension day (when we move to Ascensiontide), and I swallowed the lie!

Now I'm back on the (original and best) great fifty days of Easter bandwagon, and it feels great!

The interweb is a wonderful thing.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Graeme (but with a CAPITAL G) said...

But I'll tell you what isn't a wonderful thing - that Blogger won't let me have my name with an initial CAPITAL letter.

In fact, it won't let me have any upper case letters at all in my name.

Laurence, what is this pedantry of which you speak?

:)

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Graeme said...

Aaargh!

You've obviously installed the 'make pedants look REALLY stupid' filter on your blog.*

The lower case fiasco only happens on the preview screen. As I've now discovered, to my acute embarrassment.

I think I'll go and hide until Easter is over... whenever that might be!


* Perhaps no filter is needed because some pedants make themselves look really stupid without any help!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

It's alright Graeme, you're always defeated by Sarah's 'eggs don't grow on tress' statement. I'd have thought it pretty obvious that eggs don't grow on braided hair, but there you are.

We're all in little letters on this screen. We're all equal before God, except for Nitzsche, who God regards as 'a bit silly'.

11:11 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Oh Graeme, I shaln't think any less of you for that little comment farse - not least because you've bumped up my comments number and made my site look that little bit more popular!

4:07 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

As for any doubters out there, such as Sarah, here's some living proof that eggs really do grown on trees (tress, I cannot speak for certain about).

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home