tag : bright yellow-green apples: expanded

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Sunday, March 06, 2005

expanded

Armanda's been sharing a few thoughts on poetry, through particular readings and experiences. While going through some by Drew Milne (can't find many online examples, keep an eye on the comments and I'll write out a couple soon), I remembered a little line that Ash issued while we were talking last night:

"There is poetry that one reads, and poetry which one experiences and takes part in"

The best verse, in my experience, is that which captures the imagination by sheer willfully enticing immagery. That draws you into the telling and helps you to make a little more sense of things along the way. That's a little full-colour shard of life, with some sense of personal sympathy. Actually, this sounds a bit like the poetic prose of much of the bible, too, as shared narratives we might join...

3 Comments:

Blogger ash said...

well it's always nice to be quoted, that's for sure. It's been a feeling that must subconsciously existed in me for a long time, because there have always been poems that I could read and appreciate on a literary level; and there have always been poems that I read and found deeply penetrating and moving,and, somehow, personal. And, of course, such poems are also appreciable on literary planes also, but to some extent that can destroy the wonder of them.

Yes, poems we are invited into... poems that confide in the reader, that describe a sense so vividly that the reader senses it also, all such things and more help us to take part and experience.

and yes, to a large degree, that appplies to the biblicaal narrative.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

i don't know

i think poetry can be an end or a means and very often both. poems for me have to leave me feeling (at least) mildly understood and involved. I find some poems so wildly abstract that i feel so wildly far from "getting it" i shrink away from bothering

6:28 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Interesting comments there, thanks both of you. I'll just give quite replies for now:

Sarah -

Strangely, I tend to shrink away from the more 'direct' poems. Maybe it's that I fear getting too pretentious in comparison - that I'm a little instinctively scared of those who can put things across with great simplicity.

Ash -

I think it was in a GCSE lesson that I first came across a poem that actually spoke to me. Thought still unformed in taste until just a couple of years ago, it set the scene for my being able to find my life relating to poetic expression in a way I now find indispensible.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home