tag : bright yellow-green apples: the personal and the general

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

the personal and the general



Figure 1.4. I decided to choose this picture instead of the cover, it's better

I’ve already been going on about her a bit recently, but have had the latest album by P.J. Harvey on nearly every day for the last couple of weeks. Deliberately calling your album an unpronounceable name like Uh Huh Her might not be the best way to endear yourself, but the wilful playing around and varied mixture of styles has won me over.

From open defiance, bloody minded rage, and touching pathos, to sad apathy, utter devotion, and sensitive tributes, there's a whole range of sentiments. This is a great chronicle of relating to others when in the thrall of our very human emotions, and unwillingly captured by life‘s difficult challenges. Particularly notable is the finale, “The Desperate Kingdom of Love”, which I find very opportune at the moment (gender altered as appropriate):

Oh love, you were a sickly child
And how the wind knocked you down
Put on your spurs, swagger around
In the desperate kingdom of love

Holy water cannot help you now
Your mysterious eyes cannot help you
Selling your reason will not bring you through
The desperate kingdom of love

There's another who looks from behind your eyes
I learn from you how to hide
From the desperate kingdom of love

At the end of this burning world
You'll stand proud, face upheld
And I'll follow you, into Heaven or Hell
And I'll become, as a girl
In the desperate kingdom of love

5 Comments:

Blogger mary said...

those lyrics are so good! :-)i've never been much of a pj harvey fan meself, but i might try listening to some stuff..v. impressed!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I'll say this before Graeme does - Laurence, you really do have an uncanny knack of being able to talk about music without ever verging on description... I mean, I've no idea from what I've just read whether I'd like this album or not!

Good lyrics though.

'Uh huh her'. There you are, I said it. 'Uh huh her'. And again.

4:20 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Mary

It took me a while to appreciate her, I seem to remember the first album I heard was an old tape of "Dry" that my Stepmum wanted to get rid of. Great stuff.

Martin -

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but I'll risk misunderstanding again. I don't write what I think about music to try and persuade others that it's worth getting or not, it's just personal reactions. If you want that kind of review then go and read Q!

What did suprise me is that you didn't do your usual trick of coming on and saying "oh your choice isn't the right one, this is way better" ;P

10:32 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Well, I think it's HARDLY worth my internet breath explaining that Dry and Rid Of Me would be much better options (although it is better than Stories From The City).

You do seem to be talking about personal reactions, yes, but I suppose if I'm going to be one of the people reading it then I sort of expect to have some understanding of what it might sound like afterwards. But I guess that's all just selfishness and greed.

I know you are but what am I.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Brasil66 said...

"oh, your choice isn't the right one, this is way better." www.rachelderry.com

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home