tag : bright yellow-green apples: spouting two - a following

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

spouting two - a following

Martin and Ken have been doing good spotlight music reviews, so I thought it’d be right and proper to jump on the bandwagon. Amongst the many new bands I’ve been dabbling in recently, courtesy of my little town library’s eccentric music collection, British Sea Power are particularly exciting. After hearing them mentioned one night on radio 1 last year, and attendant critical hype, I finally had a listen. And was not disappointed by the anticipation generated by an album pretentiously titled The Decline of British Sea Power.



It’s by turns warmly curt bursts of conceptual punk (Favours in the beetroot fields) and longer sensitive melodic tracks (Something wicked). They seem to have an energetic wit that stops the lyrical flow getting bogged down under the weight of ambition, yet they tell of life in terms that are anything but inane (unlike a lot of shouty punk indie bands). It certainly touched me, as well as getting me fired up.

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

I saw British Sea Power play live once. Well, I say that, Joff and I walked to see the last fifteen minutes of their set, which was all one song (a bit of a confused noise, to be honest).

Still, I'm sure it's very good! They're from Brighton, after all.

1:22 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Well indeedy, I should think anything to do with Brighton's commendable. The band in question do have a requisit 13 minute rambly song (like all good acts should, including yourself), so that's probably what you caught. I'm still jealous, become quite a fan of them already...

2:00 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I don't have a 13 minute song!

4:50 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Unless my ears decieve me, there's an acoustic number on one of the CDs you sent me that runs to at least 13 minutes. I recall you told me it was a U2 cover or summit.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Oh, that. It was written by Bono and the Edge, but recorded by Rob Orbison. And it's only twelve minutes! 13 minutes would be a whole other 7.693318recurring%!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home