tag : bright yellow-green apples: there goes my hero

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Thursday, November 25, 2004

there goes my hero



Figure 13.5. a little humble greatness

Singular people abound, there’re as many notably exceptional types as there are views as to what makes someone outstanding. Karen Armstrong gave a particularly good perspective how it concerns us here, in the light of past views, a while ago. As far as I can make out, to me many of the most inspirational people are those who combine the courage to strike out in service, with a humility in relation to others.

Though I won’t name names, maybe it’ll be worth flagging up that slightly controversial figure Mary. I grew up in Church traditions which taught me to be at best indifferent, and at worst suspicious of the veneration shown to her by others. But after passing through an Anglo-Catholic congregation I began to develop a delayed fascination with all the various meanings that surround her. Reflections by Rowan Williams really crystallised her relevance, both in terms of lessons and in the pivotal nature of her story – as the mother of God. Since coming to this appreciation, I’ve often mulled over the tales of saints, their singularity and very messy human nature (which, let's face it, is the only way they can cnnect with us 'ordinary' people). This poem articulates a few strands, trying to step inside a story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home