tag : bright yellow-green apples: it's only the sound

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Monday, August 02, 2004

it's only the sound

There's a lot of great music around and. I'm torn in what might count as my own album of the year - thus far it's an incongruous choice of the beautiful and entrancing Com Lag by Radiohead or Stop Making Sense by The Talking Heads (I bought a second hand 1984 tape of the live shows the other day; this may be a rediscovery after neglecting them for three years but their rythms and agitated vocals are so exciting I really can't resist) .

Maybe a vague alt music prize is in order here, given that the Mercury is going to be on soonish? I'll get on to the selections from what I've heard over the last year or so, and any suggestions from you would be welcome - no matter the style.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sulks at not being included*... I can do daft electronic music too, you know! Plus that remix of Myxamatosis is a load of horse poo. Martin xxx

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in all seriousness, my favourite album of the year so far is probably Frank by Amy Winehouse, which was nominated for the Mercury Prize! Also may I throw into the fray Rejoicing In The Hands by dear old Devendra Banhart.

m

4:13 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Funnily enough I was only listening to your 7 minute long Thom Yorke breathing-sampling composition today. Marvelous stuff.

Anyway. Still thinking up the shortlist; and of course you'll be in there, along with Devendra Banhart. As to the rest, let's make it about 10 or so long in the end. Unfortunately I have yet to really appreciate Amy Winehouse in the same way...

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is all lovely, except I haven't released an album... yet...

It samples Thom Yorke for about two seconds! It's not seven minutes of him breathing...

I suppose if I were really so inclined, we could go for the massively depressing 'Regard The End' by the Willard Grant Conspiracy...

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home