tag : bright yellow-green apples: Greenbelt 2. God by numbers

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Greenbelt 2. God by numbers

Just been to a talk by someone from Ikon on apocolypse, icons, and the death of God. Remarkable, a lot of what he said echoed my recent thoughts on killing God to see God and suchlike, though with a lot more pathos. he talked of how we should be instinctive atheists, allways searching for ways to appreciate the divine, then destroying that appreciation. About how the scriptural witness presents an archetype, with a continuous range of overlapping, interacting, and counter-pointing 'God talk'. We should put together our images with an aknowledgement that God is qualitatively other, not quantitatively more. That the edifice shuld be put up and then taken down again on this journey of becoming, as much as being, a Christian on the journey in spaces where people can be themsleves not moulded into the responce to some else's vision of God...

...this means my inability to get images in of what's going on here is possibley somehow appropriate, and not just by me incompitance. Let's see if I can sneak into see Jeffery John (the line to get in was enourmous, infamy seems to boost reputations here

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I solemnly swear to go to Greenbelt next year. I hope you're not as soggy as the poor sods at Reading!

Anywhere I can get a transcript of that talk?

Andy

11:58 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

PL- all this feedback is making me jealous! sounds fascinating, although possibly would go over my head a bit!?
Andy- i've been looking on the website: so far no joy but some interesting things here

3:14 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

It is indeed wet wet wet, but we get by and are being quite ingenius in our communal cooking inside a tent-yet-not-setting-ourselves-on-fire.

I;m going to probably buy a tape of that talk, it was so good, I'll do a copy of it for you if you like, and if you don;t regard such activity as immoral or ought...

3:05 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

PL - If your conscience gets the better of you, then I can send you a cheque very easily!

Sarah - Wanna make a pact to go next year?

Andy

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home