tag : bright yellow-green apples: rehabilitated Christians

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

rehabilitated Christians

Lot’s of people I know come out about being ashamed of calling themselves Christians. This is not in the usual sense that some would delight in denying, the ashamed of the gospel cliché scare stories delighted in by CU speakers. No. Many of us want to say “I’m a Christian, but...I don’t think gay people are evil by nature/I don't reagard Muslims as living a false religion/I'm not galzed over and stuck in the subculture of Matt Redman”. We want to leap and reassure at the outset that our faith does not necessarily equate our being judgemental, repressed, or intellectually withdrawn.

How to be a Christian unselfconsciously? How to reclaim the identity from those who get the headlines, so that we need not be neurotic of deliberately marginal by necessity? I'd love to find a way, so that I could happily call myself a Christian in the same way as a Sufi mystic might be able to call himself a Muslim wholeheartedly. We discussed it here.

But there might be more pressing matters to deal with right now, according to rumour it seems Britain is being ravaged by storms at the moment. The lightning was great fun last night, flashes in the corner of my eye as I was watching the Royale Family. Mind out for the falling trees everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

U KNO U RLLY SHD SWTCH DA TV OFF WHN THRE IZ A THNDRSTRM. MRTN.

3:18 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

No one told me this, how irresponsible of them.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home