tag : bright yellow-green apples: let's be pharisees

"I see little point in persisting in a discussion with one so obstinate as you" Martin White

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

let's be pharisees

My latest plan to rehabilitate the reputation of Pharisees coincided nicely with a nicely coincidental chance stumbling over a comment that managed to help me find some good in the book of Leviticus. Whereas before I was ambivalent at best, and appalled by the legacy it leaves at worst, I can now see that there is at least something of a lesson for us here and now. It is about making everything in life pregnant with meaning, trying to cultivate awareness for the divine in all by seeing more continuum between ritual and so-called 'mundane' action. Rather, as someone noted here, how the Celtic traditions were later to bring afresh.

Thus I claim no originality, but perhaps this should see a reflowering in Christianity of a concerete cultivation of  sentitivity to meaning all around as well as in spaces? After all, most of life is spent doing, no matter how much we all might want to wait and refelect...

On a slightly less reverent note, if you still haven't jumped on the Goldie Lookin' Chain bandwaggon by now, I suggest you do so quickly. You knows it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*mumble mumble bloody pharasies mumble....*
;oP

-ash

PS. by way of adding somethign half-constructive to my otherwise pointless comment, i am glad you've found some deeper meanign in Leviticus...

8:50 PM  
Blogger postliberal said...

What's that? You'll have to speak up clearly for the rest of the class, young Ash. ;P

It's quite a hopeful thing when I find "some deeper meanign" in parts of the bible where they were previously a bit hostile to me. It certainly gives me a hook into the books of Law, in a way comparible to certain people's comments served to aid my reading of Job. Mucho thanks to RobB.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home